Monday, July 27, 2009

Voices of Truth In The Midst Of a Storm

Sometimes when I study the work of some of our modern day heroes of the faith like Adrian Rogers, Max Lucado, Chuck Swindoll, W.A. Criswell, and others, I wonder who will emerge from my generation and the generations after me as the next voices of truth in a world that seems to grow darker and more hopeless as each year passes.

I never grow tired of studying the remarkable insights of some of these spiritual giants. I'm amazed at their boldness, courage, wisdom, and tenacity. At the same time, I wonder at times if today's emerging spiritual giants really have their roots deep enough to endure the test of time. I'm not passing judgement in any way, just questioning whether or not the inherent boldness that seems to characterize many of my spiritual heroes is fading away in a time when we need it more than ever before.

In the last couple of weeks, it seems that I've read a lot about fear. I've seen quotes from Max Lucado, who is writing a new book about fear, popping up on Twitter. I've seen a fair amount of dialogue about fear on Facebook. I've read several devotionals that centered around what our response, as believers, should be to fear. Let's face it, there are more fearful people in the world today than probably at any time in recent history.

As bad as I hate to admit it, I find myself among the fearful crowd more often than I should. These last couple of weeks have been some of the most challenging times that I have faced since God called me to ministry more than 22 years ago. Although I've dealt with fear many times along my journey of faith, it's as though I'm facing it for the first time, or at least at a level of intensity that I've never experienced before.

Most of the fears are related to decisions that we are facing as a ministry as we continue trying to navigate our way through the course that God has planned for Skipstone. I should have learned by now that that course doesn't always involve calm waters and bright sunshine. In fact, it seems that the more we attempt for God, the rougher the waters can be. It will suffice to say that our current headings place us in some pretty rough waters, and at times I'm more a fearful follower than a faithful leader.

As I referenced earlier, many times in my life I've found incredible strength and encouragement (an infusion of courage) when I read or listen to the words of some of my heroes of the faith. These brave servants of God have not only talked the talk, they have walked the walk. They are the modern day Pauls and Timothys, speaking as though they are simply amplifying what God has whispered in their ears.

As I have continued praying through my fears, and especially through the current storms, it's as though God keeps steering me to the words and insights of those who have already navigated through the same storms I face. Yes, they were also afraid, but they are safely through the storm now, and they can see God's hand at work in a way that I might not be able able to see right now. When the storms get really intense, I find myself searching for their boldness, listening for that word that I need to hear, not just the "feel good" fluff that is so much a part of many of today's emerging leaders.

I came across one such word yesterday from Chuck Swindoll. Here's a portion of what I read yesterday that God greatly used to encourage me, right smack in the middle of the storm...... "Yesterday, we focused on Philippians 1:6, noting that God "who began a good work . . . will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." And, since we are to be "imitators of God" (Ephesians 5:1), it seems to me we oughta be about the business of persistence. It sure is easy to bail out theologically. You know, the age-old sovereignty cop-out. "If God wants such-and-such to happen, He's gonna have to do it all. I'm unable in myself." Now there may be a few occasions where that is an appropriate game plan; but by and large, His Spirit is willing, but our flesh is weak---dare I say lazy and indifferent? Unlike our Father, we tend to fade in the stretch."

Ouch.... Chuck quoted me word for word when he said "If God wants such-and-such to happen, He's gonna have to.....". How did he know what I was thinking? How could he call me out by declaring my flesh as lazy and indifferent? How did he know that I would tend to "fade in the stretch"?

Truth be told, Chuck Swindoll has no idea who I am and knows nothing about me or my storms. However I suspect that if I had the chance to ask him about those words, he would say something like "Well, there was a time in my life when I was going through and intense storm. I was making every excuse for why I couldn't endure it. One morning, I was really searching for a word, and God lead me to an insight by Oswald Chambers. It was as if Oswald was simply amplifying what God was whispering......".

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: