Monday, August 17, 2009

The Most Important Job I Have

Well it's official.... our oldest son Chase is a college student. It's still hard for me to believe how fast time has gone by. It seems like yesterday that he would introduce himself as "chars turi mudy da turd" (Charles Terry Moody III) and suddenly he's all grown up and has become a man!

Later today, he'll walk into a college classroom and much of what he has been taught growing up will be challenged. He'll be surrounded by a new group of friends, a host of new influences, and perhaps for the first time in his life, a world that is more dark than light. His beliefs will be questioned, his faith will be sifted, and his character will be tested.

As scary as that sounds, I'm extremely excited for Chase as he begins a new chapter in his life. It's emotional to think back through all the chapters we've walked through together. I don't even distinguish the good memories from the bad ones because each one helped to shape him into the godly young man that he has become. I recognize that in many ways my influence will be less in the remaining chapters, but I'm thankful that I still get to be a part of his life.

I wonder sometimes as parents if we forget what our greatest calling is.... raising our kids to honor God with their lives. I know it's difficult, if not impossible, to keep that calling at the forefront of our "things I gotta do today" list, but when I find myself at this chapter, it's hard not to think about the opportunities I wasted, the teachable moments I missed, and the countless times I just plain "got it wrong". If you had any idea how many times I've "dropped the ball", you'd realize that great kids happen in spite of us, not because of us.

That is as clear of picture of grace as I've ever seen.... God's invasion of a child's life, His supernatural protection of a child's heart from their parents failures and shortcomings, and His perfect strength for our kids when we are so weak.

That being said, I think it's important to remember that it's God's plan for us to play a vital role in the spiritual development of our kids. It's awesome to have great partners like our church, the youth group, our schools, and other influences, but the primary responsibility is mine. That's heavy.... the fact that God entrusted the life of a child to me, to nurture and love, to teach and mold, to discipline and disciple..... and He promises that He will empower me to do it!

I wonder of some us need to be reminded today about our most important job. I wonder if we need to find ourselves at the feet of Jesus asking for strength, wisdom, and power to answer the greatest calling of our lives. I wonder if we need to be reminded of how quickly time passes and do a little "priority check". I wonder if we see the incredible opportunity that God has given us. I wonder why God blesses me so much!

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." - 3 John 1:4

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: