Friday, June 26, 2009

A Tale of Two Kings

Am I the only person that is completely amazed at how the news of the death of Michael Jackson, the self proclaimed "king of pop", siezed complete control of every media outlet in a matter of a few minutes yesterday? Within two hours of his death, there were already hour long specials airing on national and international television, and the internet was at a crawl because of all of the searches for information about his death.

Now I've never really been much of a MJ fan, but I'm also not really a hater either. I do feel a lot of pity for anyone who has been given so much... talent, fame, riches, influence, etc., but chooses to invest it in the temporal instead of the eternal. It certainly isn't any of my business what anyone does with their "stuff", but I just know that those who live their lives for the temporary pleasures of life miss out on a lot.

After reliving all of the highlights (good, bad, and ugly) of Michael Jackson's life via the news last night, I couldn't help but turn it off when the isanity hit it's peak. Will.I.Am (Black Eyed Peas/Jackson producer) crossed the line for me when he said "He was a gift to the world, he is a bright light and I wouldn't be surprised if the world stopped spinning tomorrow."

Ok, as I said, I'm not a Michael Jackson hater, but come on..... a gift to the world? A bright light? The world may stop spinning? WOW..... that may be words that could be used to describe a king, but not the "King of Pop"!

In fact, as I watched all of this unfold yesterday afternoon, I thought about the irony of how the world is in turmoil because their "king" is going, while giving little thought to "THE King" who has promised a triuphant return. Even more upsetting is that by the time the news of the return of Christ overtakes the media, it will be too late to be concerned about it!

I hope that somehow God uses the death of Michael Jackson to further HIS kingdom here on earth. What a fresh reminder to those of us who belong to Christ about the importance of daily redirecting our attention and affection to the only true King, Jesus Christ our savior, and faithfully sharing the Good News with those God puts in our path.

You may not have been ready for the "king" to leave, but you can be ready for "THE King" to return!

FYI - the world didn't stop spinning today!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip Moody

No comments: