Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reputation or Character?

Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and the angels know of us. —Thomas Paine.

When I saw that quote this morning, I immediately thought of Truett Cathy's favorite verse in the Bible. I've heard him quote it many time from Proverbs 22:
1A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.2The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them all.
3A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.

Almost every sermon I've heard based on this verse focuses on verses 1. It's certainly a great verse..I've seen it on business cards, signs, and vehicles for years. For me the key word has always been "chosen". I think a lot of people want a good "reputation", but developing Godly character that produces a "good name" requires a choice. It's not a one time choice, it's an everyday choice. How many times have we seen people of faith make one bad choice that causes unthinkable damage to their "reputation" or "name"?

So how do we do this? How do we make the right choices that will give us a "Good name" in the sight of God and of others? I think the answer is in verse 3. Here is what it says in the CEV.."3When you see trouble coming, don't be stupid and walk right into it-- be smart and hide."

Have we trained ourselves to recognize trouble and hide? The devil is still using the same bag of tricks that he always has, so why are we so slow to train ourselves to see it and hide. Instead, we often walk right into trouble, rather than "choosing" the right way.

When it comes right down to it, I think most people really do care about having a "good name" and being known as a person of character. "A good name is rather to be chosen" though, even more than great riches. It absolutely requires a choice...daily, in every circumstance, and in the most minute details!

Choose you this day whom you will serve; As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord - Joshua 24:15

Have a BLESSED day - live for Jesus!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: