Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fighting The Funk aka "the flesh"

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't take time to blog yesterday because I was "fighting the funk". For those who may not understand what that means, it's kind of like writing the invitations to to your upcoming pity party. For some reason, I find myself at that place more often than I should. I hate being there. I hate it for those around me when I get there. I hate to think what God thinks of me when He sees me throwing a spiritual temper-tantrum! I'm sure it makes Him sad to see how quickly I can take my eyes off of Him and be consumed by my own circumstances and guided by my flesh. The worst part is knowing that I know better!

As I sat here yesterday morning, I really struggled to stay focused and hear from God. Although I wasn't faced with any "giants" or dealing with any major problems, I just couldn't get myself together. I just didn't "feel" good. I read five or six different devotionals, prayed (although I felt as though my prayers were just bouncing off the ceiling), and just sat here quietly. Nothing I did seemed to help.

I went through the day yesterday with as little interaction with others as possible. I kept my office door closed and focused my attention on the tasks ahead. As the end of the day drew near, I couldn't really look back and see much of anything that was accomplished. I was angry with myself for surrendering to my flesh. I was disappointed that I "wasted" the day on myself instead of investing the day in the Kingdom.

Dying to self is probably the hardest part of the Christian life for most of us. I know it is for me. It's easy for me to worship.... I love to sing songs of praise to Jesus. It's like praying without asking for anything. I love to give...my time, my abilities, and my treasures. I love to serve.... I can't wait to get here every morning and see what God has planned for me. I love to pray... I'm still learning how to talk with God, but I cherish that time every morning. But dying to myself, that's the hard part. Look at what Paul had to say about it in Galatians....

Galatians 5: 16-21
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I think it's pretty interesting that most of us don't consider "hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, and envy" to be on the same "level" of surrendering to the flesh as "adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, murders, drunkenness, and revelries". The truth is...flesh is flesh and our flesh will always be our enemy. In fact most of us never have to engage in war with the devil because our flesh keeps us bound up enough that we can't accomplish anything great for God anyway.

Lord help me to arm myself every moment of every day with your Spirit. I can't win the war against my flesh without first surrendering myself to you!

Galatians 5:22-25
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Have a BLESSED day and live for Jesus!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: