Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's In A Name?

Let's continue working our way through the Lord's Prayer from Matthew 6:9-13....

"hallowed be your name" is the first petition listed in this model prayer. Most of the remaining petitions are more focused on us and our "needs", but it all begins with a petition for the name of "Our Father" to be hallowed. So what does that look like? What does it mean? What's in a name?

The word, "Hallowed," means to set something apart from all else as Holy. For the Christian, praying "hallowed be your name" is declaring our desire that God be put in the drivers seat. It means that in my walk today, in my thoughts today, in my plans today... that His glory is what is most important. The petitions that follow are meaningless if God isn't glorified. Everything that God made was designed to bring glory to His name. Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."

One of the most fascinating studies in all of God's word is to study the meanings of the names of God. Unlike our culture today, names in biblical times had significant meaning. Take a look at some of the names of God found in scripture:

He is Elohim, the "Creator God." He is El Elyon, "the possessor of heaven and earth." He is Jehovah-Jireh, "the Lord will provide.' Jehovah-Rapha, "the Lord that healeth", Jehovah-Raah, "the Lord our Shepherd", Jehovah-Tsidkenu, "the Lord our righteousness." Our God is Jehovah-Sabaoth, "the Lord of hosts", Jehovah-Shama, "the Lord is present and near", and He is, "the Lord who sanctifieth thee",( Jehovah-Maqodeshkim).

In the person of Jesus Christ he is called the Bread of Life, the Living Water, the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Resurrection, The God Shepherd, the Branch, the Bright and Morning Star, The Lamb of God, the Rose of Sharon, the Lily of the Valley, the Door. He is, Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Prince of Peace, the Everlasting Father.

Now I'm not sure if that does anything for you, but let's just think about how our prayer life might change in light of this little phrase "hallowed be your name" and what we have learned the last couple of days. Instead of rattling off our wish list for the day to God, what would happen if we prayed something like this "My Father, I thank you for loving me today as your child. As you look down from Heaven this morning, I recognize that your view of my life is unobstructed. You know what every second of this day holds.... your perspective is perfect and I trust you to guide my steps today. May you be glorified through the life I live today. You are Jehovah - Jireh, my provider, so Lord as you make provisions for me today , may others see you at work in my life and may you and you alone receive the glory for what you have done!"

We could take that same thought and go through each one of the names of God. The point is that we must bring ourselves to a place where we recognize that God's glory is the ultimate goal. I wonder if we really consider this when we pray? I know I'm guilty of selfish, hurried, routine, and "going through the motions" praying. It's no wonder that I sometimes feel as though my prayers are bouncing off the ceiling!

I was sharing with one of the parents from our school yesterday that the older I get (hitting the big 40 this year), the more I like "routine". I once was a rebel when it came to shaking people out of their comfort zones. Now it's just easier to stay in my routine and in my own little world. The problem with that kind of thinking is that my "routine" life, and the "routine" lives of countless other believer's, paints a distorted picture of God for the world around us. Our walk with Jesus should be so intense that those around us can't help but see HIS GLORY revealed in and through us.... but it can't happen with "routine" praying.... that kind of life demands a change! I'm in...how about you?

Have a BLESSED Day and Live For JESUS!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: