Friday, February 6, 2009

Remembering The Journey

On Wednesday afternoon, I had the opportunity to visit with an awesome young couple about the ministry of Skipstone. Eric & Andrea are about to graduate from college and have an overwhelming sense of calling to ministry, to camp ministry and Christian education more specifically.

When I received an email from them several weeks ago inquiring about the ministry, it was in the midst of a very busy time for me. I remember contemplating my response. I was immediately aware of my flesh screaming "but what about your calendar?", "you don't have time for this!", and "somebody else can do it.". I also vividly remember a whisper from God reminding me that it wasn't so long ago (although longer than I care to admit!) that I was sitting at the same intersection where Eric and Andrea are sitting today.

I remember the turmoil of having such a strong desire for God to use me in ministry, but being "stuck" in a job I didn't particularly enjoy, and praying everyday for God to open the right door of ministry for me (or at least get me out of "here"!). I remember all of the promises I made to God.... "Lord, if you will just do "this", I will serve you with all of my heart".

I remember hours and hours of Shondi and I sharing our hearts with one another and dreaming about what God would do "one day". I remember the first opportunity I had to be a part time Youth Pastor at a little mill village church with only enough students to fill up my little Plymouth Champ (that's a four seater car for those of you who don't know about the first "egg shaped" car!). I remember my plans to grow that ministry into a mega youth group and my ultimate realization that my plan didn't remotely resemble God's plan for that little church.

I remember each opportunity that God has given me over the last twenty years, and how with each one, I quickly put my plans into action and "put the pedal to the metal". "Go big or go home!" was probably the best way to describe the majority of the early years of my ministry. That's all I knew, and a part of me always thought that accomplishing something great with the opportunity God gave me was the benchmark I had to reach in order for God to give me a bigger opportunity.

While those who know me best would say that there is still some of that "Go big or go home" and "pedal to the metal" thinking in me, I pray that I'm finally discovering that the opportunities God has given me over the last twenty years were much more about preparing me for His ultimate purpose for my life than for what "I" was going to accomplish for Him.

I'm so thankful as I look back.... He let me be a part of impacting a lot of people over the years. I saw a lot of students discover a relationship with Jesus Christ. I saw families restored, relationships healed, and lives changed. I also experienced great disappointment, unimaginable heartache, and often the unpleasant consequences of getting out of step with God's plans and perfect will.

When I consider all that God has done to bring me to this point, I'm thankful beyond comprehension for both the blessings and the pain, because God used it all for His glory and to prepare me for today. The pain of getting out of step with God and His plans, reminds me to seek Him first every day, and to make sure that I'm willingly surrendering my own agenda in order to accomplish His. The blessings of the past give me reassurance that the same God that was at work then, in spite of me, is still working today, in spite of me!

I wish you could have been in my office as I shared the Skipstone story with Eric and Andrea. I pray that it was an encouragement to them as they begin their faith journey, but fear I may have scared them to death! My prayer for them is that they will recognize the places they have been, and even where they are today, is a wonderful place for God to continue preparing them for His ultimate plan for them. In a selfish way, I think it would be kind of cool if we got to be a part of that process some day. Please pray for this young couple...for patience & understanding, for provision, and for the right opportunity in God's perfect timing.

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Matthew 6:33 (King James Version)
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Have a BLESSED day and live for Jesus!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: