Thursday, December 11, 2008

Get Fit Spiritually!

I had a busy day on Wednesday.... no time to blog. We had a great staff meeting in the morning and I had a lot of catching up to do in the office. It rained here ALL DAY, so it was just one of those days that you would rather being taking a nap!

I got home and it was still raining, so I did something I try not to do... I pondered whether or not to go to church (I am learning to make this decision ahead of time and not base it on how I "feel"!). So I did end up going and I'm glad I did. I heard probably one of the best explanations of why we need to spend time in God's word on a regular basis that I've ever heard.

Mark shared with our students about a recent "weight loss battle to the death of chubbiness" that he has entered with Bart Millard from the group "Mercy Me". It's really been funny to watch these guys....



So anyway, Mark went on to talk about his efforts to drop a few pounds and specifically how he had stopped eating certain things, quit drinking sweet tea (I'm praying for him!),etc. He said he has lost five pounds as a result. But he went on to say that he will not only have to stop eating certain things, he will have to start eating some good stuff in order to really be healthy.

He then related that to our walk with God many times. We come away from church or youth meeting with the idea that "I need to stop listening to that" or "I have to doing this", etc. While that is important, if we fail to add some things to our life, and only take away, we miss the boat when it comes to our walk with God. That's why God's word is so important. It's vital that we know what His word says if we are attempting to live according to it. Mark put it this way ..."If you are going to live your life based on a book (God's word), it might be a good idea to read it!".

While that is a simple lesson that most of us already know, I think if we are honest, sometimes we just plop open the Bible and try to find a verse that gets us through the day, rather than developing a systematic approach to study and really know God's word. I was greatly challenged to "get fit" spiritually and I pray that if you are in the same pattern that I tend to fall into from time to time, that you will take this lesson to heart as well!

Have a BLESSED day!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip Moody

No comments: