Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend In Review

I don't know how to adequately thanks the dozens and dozens of volunteers that have worked so tirelessly over the past two weekends to make "Christmas At Skipstone" a huge success. I want to especially thank our sponsors for this year's event.... Truett's Grill, Internal Medicine Of Griffin, Maxi-Lube of Griffin, and Buddy's Tire & Service Center. The generosity of these fine businesses in a struggling economy is especially noteworthy. I may forget someone if I start calling out star volunteers, but some of these ladies, men, and teenagers worked every night for the entire four hours of the event. You all are just AMAZING! Thank you to everyone who helped and to all of you who came out and visited with us!

It was after midnight before we got settled in after the last night of "Christmas At Skipstone", but we were up and at it again Sunday morning for a full day. We spent the afternoon celebrating my oldest son's 18th birthday (I know I look to young to have an 18 year old!). I had fun calling Chase our "man-child" all day, and it was a great celebration. I don't think a parent could ask or pray for their child to become anything more than what Chase has become. He loves Jesus, loves his family, respects his parents, and has more character than a lot of adults I know. I'm very proud of the young man he has become (in case you haven't picked up on that by now!)

I found this prayer as part of my devotional recently.....

A Father's Prayer
by General Douglas MacArthur
Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough
To know when he is weak and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid;
One who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat,
And humble, and gentle in victory.

Build me a son whose wishes will not take the place of deeds;
A son who will know Thee – and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.
Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here, let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for those that fail.

Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goal will be high, a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men, one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.

And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, and the meekness of true strength.

Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain."

(This reflection was written by General MacArthur, during his early days in the Phillipines during the Pacific War, and was left as a spiritual legacy to his son Arthur. Made public after the general’s death in 1964.)


Today we begin the process of cleaning up after the Christmas event and working through our last week of school before the Christmas break. We have "stuff" all over the campus, so it will be a busy week getting everything back to where it belongs and returning all of the "stuff" we have borrowed!

Our Elementary kids will be on a short field trip this morning to Pike Manor Nursing Home. They will be taking some cards and gifts to the residents there and spending some time with the saints as part of our synergy study this month on "The Generosity Factor".

I hope everyone has a great week.....

Whatever It Takes,
Chip Moody

No comments: