Monday, March 16, 2009

Being A "Saturated" Christian

Can you believe all of the rain we have gotten in the last couple of weeks? I'm later than normal getting to my office today because I discovered some new roof leaks that were revealed from the excessive rains this weekend. I also drove around the lake to be sure our High School students would be able to get to class without the canoes this morning!

Our Pastor was talking about the rain yesterday morning during our prayer time. He mentioned that the ground had become so saturated that the water was just standing or "running off". The ground is so full that the water is now flowing out of it instead of soaking into it.

As I thought about that illustration, I began to wonder what a "saturated" Christian looks like. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've met very many.

Now I've met some dry Christians. Those are the ones that walked down an aisle at some point in their past, filled out a card, said a little prayer, and were perhaps even baptized. Unfortunately, their baptism was the closest they ever came to being "saturated", and that was just with water!

I've also met some "damp" Christians. Unlike the dry Christians, these are the ones who really did have a genuine salvation experience. There was a time in their past that they were excited about their walk with Jesus. They may have even served in a ministry of some kind for a period of time. They are damp, but not really "saturated".

I hate to say it, but I've more than my share of "stagnant" or "sponge" Christians. These are the ones who have a genuine walk with Jesus. They are usually involved in their church, know God's word, spend time praying (if only at mealtimes), and most likely are serving God in some way. They are like sponges, soaking it all in. That's fine unless they never "squeeze out" the sponge. The result ends up being a stagnated Christian.

So when we talk about being a "saturated" Christian, what does that mean? To me, if goes back to asking questions... What is that we are thirsty for? We are all thirsty for something, and we have all tried all kinds of things to quench our thirst....money, possessions, good deeds, relationships, and "experiences" untold.

Being a "saturated" Christian means that my thirst has been quenched totally and completely by relationship with Jesus. In Him, I am complete and lacking nothing. Any hint of thirst I have is simply a desire to know Him more completely. He is all that I want and He is all that I need. Now another question.... In light of that description, how many "saturated" Christians do you know? Which category best describes your life and mine?

The good news is that no matter where we are today, we don't have to stay there any longer. We can ask God to give us a desire for "living water" that will quench our every thirst today. One of our good friends in Christian camping uses Psalm 42:1-2 as the verse for their camp "As the deer pants for streams of water,so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?"

How thirsty are we for God? He's far superior to Gatorade - Is HE In You?

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: