Friday, March 20, 2009

The Blog I Didn't "Feel" Like Writing

Anyone who has ever attempted to keep up a "journal" or "blog" of any kind will probably tell you that there are days when your heart is so full that you can't wait to put it on paper (or online in the case of blogging). There are also days when you dread sitting down to blank sheet of paper (or an empty screen) because you just don't "feel" like doing it for whatever reason.

Today, I fall into the category of the latter.... I really just don't "feel" like blogging today. The last couple of days have been particularly stressful. I'm hurting for some friends who are struggling in a big way financially. I have friends in ministry who are in the midst of battles that I'm concerned about. I'm a little overwhelmed with all that is on my plate (OK..... more like a "LOT" overwhelmed!) I'm intimidated by what I believe God has planned for Skipstone, and wonder if I'm up for the task. I'm struggling to keep my priorities in order in regards to my daily walk, my family, the ministry, and the other commitments that I have. To put in plainly.... "I" am the problem!

Whenever I get to days like today, I always think of my "Mama Betty", my grandmother on my father's side of the family. She was one of the godliest people I ever knew. I can not remember one unkind word spoken from her lips. I'm sure that she had days like today, but I don't think a single person ever knew about them.

She was a fountain of encouragement to me every single minute that we spent together. She believed in me when I thought no one else did. She made me feel like I could do anything. She demonstrated the principle of "loving others more than you love yourself" to me and to everyone around her.

She walked with God. She loved her family. She faithfully served God as a pastor's wife for more than four decades. She never let her circumstances interfere with her calling. She kept her priorities in order. She was a Proverbs 31 woman: "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

One of the biggest life lessons I learned from "Mama Betty" is that we can't live this life based on we "feel". I should probably clarify that... we can't live this life victoriously based on how we "feel". How we "feel" is solely based on our flesh...on how WE view and interpret what's going in our life and circumstances. If we attempt to walk through this life trying to live victoriously based on how we "feel", we just end up being a bunch of frustrated believers, of little use to the work of the Kingdom.

So what's the answer? I can't ignore how I "feel" right? After all, everything I mentioned that is on my heart is real. God created us with feelings, and I feel all sorts of different emotions about these things. Am I wrong?

I believe that "feelings" have their place in our lives, even in our spiritual lives. It's often our feelings that move us to action. If I feel threatened, I fight or run (usually run). If I feel a burden for something or someone, I often act to ease it. If I feel like I have been wronged, I'm apt to try to resolve the situation. If I'm happy or excited, I dance (not really, but thinking about it makes me smile).

The point is... our feelings are real and can be useful to our spiritual growth. The key is that we must lay what we "feel" alongside what is "real". What is "real" is always a better guide than what we "feel". When we put them side by side, the "real" brings what we "feel" into check, and truth is born. Truth brings peace and hope, and suddenly our "feelings" are more about the anticipation of what God is doing than about our circumstances.

When I "feel" alone, I need to lay that alongside the "real" promise of God from Deuteronomy 31:8 "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

When I "feel" scared, I need to lay that alongside the "real" promise of God from Romans 8:15 "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba,Father.""

The list goes on and on, but the principle is the same... the truth of God's word is the fulcrum on which we balance what we "feel" and what we know is "real"!


How's your balance today?

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: