Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"What Does Salt Taste Like"

It's CRAZY cold this morning! After making some moves (that would make Scott Hamilton jealous) on the ice outside the dining hall this morning, I had to put my blog post on hold and go to Walmart to buy some salt!

Although we've been working through the Lord's Prayer for the last several days, I couldn't help but think about salt this morning and the passage from Matthew 5:13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men."

That's an amazing illustration to me. We, as believers, are the "salt" of the earth? What does that mean?

Most commentaries that I have ever read liken this reference to believers "making a difference", "adding flavor", "penetrating" or "preserving", all characteristics or uses of salt. I think there are some great applications along those ideas, but I'm learning to not read God's word like I've always read it. I think familiarity can be one of our biggest obstacles to really understanding God's word.

For example, if I were to ask you the question "How does salt taste?", I bet you answer would be "salty". So although salt has many characteristics, such as those listed above, would it be fair to say that "saltiness" is the most prevalent characteristic of salt? It would be hard to imagine "salt" that isn't "salty"!

If that's is true, how does the verse apply? What does it mean for us to be "the salt of the earth"? Just as salt must be salty, there must be something about us that defines our walk with Jesus, something that "marks" us as a child of God. The way we live our life, our values, our morality, and our faithfulness are all signs of our walk with God.

This verse from Matthew 5:13 is part of the Sermon On The Mount. In the verses preceding our verse on being "the salt of the earth", Jesus gives us the characteristics of Christianity, the "stuff" that defines us:
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."

So how salty am I? Just as salt is salty, as a believer I must be meek. Just as salt is salty, as a believer I must be pure in heart. If I'm not living out my faith in a way that the world can see, I'm like salt that's not salty!

Have a great day and BE SALTY-LIVE OUT LOUD!

Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: