Thursday, March 5, 2009

A "Wow" Moment With God & Students

I've been to a lot of church and youth group worship services in my lifetime. I've been in some that were hilarious, some that were interesting, and some that were, quick frankly, boring! I've been in a handful of worship services that could only be described as "WOW". Last night was added to my list of "WOW" moments.

For the last several weeks, our youth pastors have been talking about dating. They started with the history and purpose for dating, and walked through what modern day dating looks like when we line it up alongside God's word. It's been a very intriguing study.

Last night was the final night of the series. We had a very pointed lesson on purity, specifically sexual purity. Reagan (one of our youth pastors) did an absolutely amazing job teaching about a very uncomfortable subject. You could just sense a spirit of conviction falling over the room as he taught from God's word about purity. The key verse was Ephesians 5:3 "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people."

When he was finished, an invitation was given for students to make a purity pledge to God, their parents, their friends, their family of faith, and their future mates to keep themselves pure in heart, mind, and body. I was absolutely blown away when I saw the response.... in a room of about 400 teenagers and a lot of parents, I'd say at least 80% of the students went forward.

Many had already planned to have their parents go forward with them and their parent's presented them with a purity ring as a symbol of the commitment they were making. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen....moms and dads looking their teenagers in the eyes, praying over them, and embracing each other with tears flowing. Students who didn't have their parents present flocked to the altar to pray and publicly take a stand by signing their purity pledge cards in front of their peers.

The cards also had a blank line on them with the words "presented to" preceding the blank. It was explained that each year that goes by that students continue to faithfully keep that commitment to purity will make that little card even more valuable and precious to them. Ultimately, on their wedding day, they can write in the name of the person they are marrying in the "presented to" line as the ultimate gift of themselves to their spouse. They were each given an acrylic frame so that they could keep their commitment card in a conspicuous place as a reminder of the pledge they made to God.

Now I recognize that not every single one of those students is likely to follow through on such a pledge. I've been a part of some "True Love Waits" events in the past, so I realize some students are just going with the flow. What was so special about last night was the overwhelming sense of conviction and a spirit of sincerity that I have not experienced often. I was encouraged by such a powerful response from this generation to TRUTH.

One of my favorite worships songs is "Hosanna" by Hillsong United. As I study each morning in my office, I can hear our students in chapel singing it from time to time. Here are the verses and bridge:

"I see the king of glory Coming on the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakes, The whole earth shakes

I see his love and mercy, Washing over all our sin
The people sing, The people sing

I see a generation, Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith, With selfless faith

I see a near revival, Stirring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees, We're on our knees

Heal my heart and make it clean, Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me

Break my heart from what breaks yours, Everything I am for your kingdoms cause
As I go from nothing to Eternity"

How much time are you investing in this generation of students? Does it cross your mind to pray for them, encourage them, and love them like Jesus? Or have you become cynical, a doubter who thinks that are destined to be "just teenagers"? Are you intentionally pouring in to the life of a student, or have you believed the lie that they don't want anything to do with adults? Have you missed the significance of our opportunity to impact that next generation of leaders, who God could greatly use to help turn the heart of this nation back to Him?

Sure.... a lot of them need a "rod of correction", but a lot of them just need someone who loves them enough to tell them the truth, in love, and help them navigate the treacherous roads of adolescence. How about you?

Whatver It Takes,
Chip

No comments: