Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Calling Bigger Than Yourself

In my queit time this morning, I was thinking about the awesome responsibility that God has given me to serve here at Skipstone. It seems that with each new day, new doors of opportunity are opening. The vision that was planted in my heart over twenty years ago has become so "God-sized" that at times I'm tempted to just put on the brakes and say "Lord, I'm not sure I can do this".

I came across an old leadership lesson I used to teach to Sunday School leaders when I was digging through some old files in my office at home the other night. It was titled " A Calling Out Of The Comfort Zone". I laughed as Shondi(my wife) "preached" my outline to me. It was funny because what I thought was "a calling out of the comfort zone" then pales in comparison to how far out of my comfort zone I'm living today.

Don't misunderstand, I walk to my office every morning with a heart full of thanksgiving for the blessings God has given us, both personally, and in the ministry of Skipstone. At the same time, I'm realizing more and more every day that the plans that God has for this place and this ministry are far beyond what I ever imagined.

At times, I'm tempted to quit, or at very least "hold on for dear life!". Trying to balance my walk with God, my marriage, my family, my calling to this ministry, and my commitments is overwhelming. Making time to be still and listen for God's "whisper" to my heart is a daily challenge. Keeping my priorities in order is daily struggle. More often than I want, I find my self no longer moving forward, but instead looking for my comfort zone so I can "hold on" and play it safe.

I may have shared this video clip before, but Francis Chan did a great illustration of this using a balance beam. I pray it encourages you as it did me. When my life is over, I long to hear "well done thay good and faithful servant"!


Whatever It Takes,
Chip

No comments: